Friday, November 1, 2013

Throughout Act I, the majority of Laramie citizens repeat that they don't care if somebody is gay and they say that's the mindset of the whole town. Doc O'Connor is the limousine driver that drove Matthew to the bar the night he died. Doc says, "And I don't think Wyoming people give a damn one way or another if you're gay or straight, that's just what I just said, doesn't matter," (Kaufman 21). However, in between what the citizens of Laramie say, they say small things that sound homophobic, without them even realizing what they said. After hearing many interviews it sounds more like the town doesn't accept gays even though they all say otherwise. Doc says, "But I liked him [Matthew] 'cause he was straightforward... Maybe gay but straightforward, you see what I'm saying?" (Kaufman 19). The citizens of Laramie all say that they accept gays, however as Doc is mentioning that he likes Matthew, he adds in that Matthew's gay even though that was not needed as part of his statement. I think that everyone says they accept gays to make the town sound better, but in reality most of them are homophobic.

No comments:

Post a Comment